Monday, May 19, 2014

Yachad Leadership Shabbaton by Sruli (8th Grade Participant)

Each year we are honored to host a Yachad shabbaton with our 8th grade.  The shabbaton has 80 of our students and about 100 Yachad members and advisors.  It is always a powerful, meaningful experience for our 8th graders.  This year, Yachad hosted a leadership shabbaton.  Four of our students were honored to be asked to attend.  Below is what one student reflected and wrote about his experience: 

Last Shabbos was definitely the most memorable Shabbos of my life. I went on a Yachad shabbaton with 3 of my classmates. I got up there afraid of meeting new kids and dealing with the kids who were blessed to be part of Yachad. As the Shabbos went on, I met many kids, 8th graders, as well as Yachad members. I learned that Yachad members are just like us just need more patience. We played a game to teach us how it feels to have a disability. I learned so much from this game. I learned, It’s very frustrating when somebody is pronouncing everything when they are talking to you, it’s annoying when somebody talks to you as if you are 2 even though you’re really 14. It’s important to treat them as if they weren’t blessed with a disability.  I was speaking with a member from senior Yachad, and it taught me that they think just like us. Even though, unknowingly she was repeating everything she was saying, it was definitely a very meaningful conversation. I left the shabbaton with many great thoughts in my mind. Even though I was very sad that I had to go home I still managed to think good thoughts. I’m now aware of how great of a blessing it is to have disabilities. I can’t wait until the next Shabbaton!